Saturday, November 21, 2015

The Value of Mentors

This week, I guess I can do a Thanksgiving-ish post! I'm grateful for great mentors. Lately, I've been feeling like a small fish in a very, very big ocean. And the ocean expects a lot from you. And seems the other fish are all more experienced. And proactive. And even more successful. But during this time, I realized that I can rely on good mentors. For me, one of those mentors is my deacons quorum scout leader.


When I was twelve, he was motivating me to be confident, and getting my chubby 12 year-old self to finish a 50 mile backpacking trip. I called him yesterday, and I realized I have a fantastic resource for advice on career development, marketing, and networking. Just like when I was twelve, he is motivating me to push myself even farther.

Moral of the story? Keep your mentor's close, you never know when they might come in handy.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is neat when connections from our childhood are useful later in life. It always makes me happy I wasn't a punk as a kid. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preston, thanks for this post! I need to get reconnected with those from my youth. The connections are incredible and do help us all the time! They sure do motivate us to keep moving forward and upward. Mountains to climb every day! Keep doing great things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great reminder, Preston. When it looks like everyone else in the pond is bigger than you, also remember that they probably look a lot bigger than they actually are, and you are probably a lot bigger than you think you are. Go big. You got this.

    ReplyDelete