Friday, September 18, 2015

Living in the Heart of the Church!


This Sunday, I didn't go to church. Instead, I left over an hour early, to sit in the Marriott. Not for a basketball game, but for a chance to hear an Apostle of the Lord speak. Elder Ballard came to address us as part of the Utah South Area. Here is what I learned:

  • He compared this valley to the "heart" of the Church. 
  • In order to keep the "heart, and the entire church healthy, we had several essential habits we need to refocus on. 
    • Daily prayer
    • Fasting
    • Studying the scriptures
    • Keeping the Sabbath day holy
    • Partaking of the Sacrament
    • Worshiping in the Temple often
    • Reaching out the poor and lonely
With these habits he made us a promise. As we follow this guidance, we won't be susceptible to false teachers and worldly philosophies. I really appreciated how he said there is nothing wrong with asking questions. He pleaded with leaders to not brush off people with difficult question, but to seek the Lord in helping them find answers to them.

Based on this counsel, what am I going to change? I am all of these things, but do I realize what they really mean? To I fully understand the sacrament? Are my prayers a form of communication with God? Or just a habit that I go through every night before I can go to sleep.

I hope that I can live these principles, and be a strong member, here in the "Heart" of the church!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed regional conference as well! Life is all about the little things, being diligent, but also effective with that list, even in our times of doubt. I think we will always, at least in this life, have to strive to fully understand, but it is wonderful to gain more of a testimony in each of those aspects. BYU is a wonderful place to be!

    ReplyDelete